Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Real Estate and Middle School Boys

I spent an interesting week last week at an orientation camp for my 6th grade son's middle school. I was one of 2 adult male chaperons for 24 middle school boys. I got back to work and wasn't quite sure what to make my next post and then it hit me. What does the real estate market today have in common with 6th, 7th, & 8th grade boys? The answer is that it is very unpredictable. These boys enjoyed clowning around and being 13 year olds their imagination is their only limitation. They say things and you have no idea where that thought came from and then when asked to explain a food chain the answer rolls right off their tongues. Pretty incredible and baffling all at the same time. Well, that is the type of market we are in. One day an escrow officer is opening 4 transactions and then the next week nothing. Every transaction is now a real unpredictable adventure. One of the key ingredients of course is the lender and whether or not a borrower is going to qualify for a loan. Another item that can really make for an interesting escrow is a short sale. Boy, I can't tell you the twists and turns a transaction like that can have. So I recommend we all hang on, work hard and smile, because whether it is the real estate business or herding middle school boys it is going to be interesting.

No comments:

Google